• Wide-ranging and comprehensive coverage of every aspect of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica
• Chronological approach to the archaeology and history of all the major civilizations
• Forty special features analyse cultural aspects such as writing, the calendar, agriculture, burial and palace life
• Fluently written by a world expert in the field
• Clearly and carefully laid out to guide the student and reader through each topic
• Brilliantly illustrated with photographs, diagrams, reconstructions and maps
• The essential guide for students, scholars and travellers
The third edition also includes new special features and boxes on Figurines, Mesoamerican Culture Traits, Language, Maya Royal Tombs, Tikal and Tenochtitlan’s Population; thoroughly revised chapters on the Aztecs and the chronology of the period; and updated references that address the major new publications of recent years.