The “creative reconstruction” of damaged buildings was an important topic in architecture after the Second World War, particularly in Bavaria. The Munich architect Hans Döllgast (1891–1974) was one of the pioneers of this development. His most important achievements include the repairs to the Alte Pinakothek, the Basilica of St. Bonifaz and the main municipal cemeteries.
Hans Döllgast was succeeded above all by two of his students, whose work can be seen as exemplary. Karljosef Schattner (1924–2012), for many years the diocesan architect of the Bishopric of Eichstätt, saved threate-ned build ings in the episcopal city such as the Old Orphanage by adding a contemporary extension, or gave a new lease of life to historic buildings such as the Ulmer Hof by means of functional additions. In the case of Hirschberg Palace he boldly placed a modern wing in front of the south façade. Josef Wiedemann (1910–2001) was an outstanding architect of the reconstruction of Munich. The interpretative reconstruction of the badly damaged Glyptothek on Königsplatz is regarded as one of his masterpieces.