Thames & Hudson Australia is a global publisher of art and culture for the modern reader. We work with the world’s best authors, artists and designers to create the world’s most beautiful books.
We specialise in books on:
- Narrative Non-Fiction
- Children’s Picture Books
Our office and workplace culture is:
- A safe place to learn, grow and thrive
We also offer free on-site parking, industry and skills-based training, optional social activities, generous staff discounts and access to exceptionally beautiful books.
We welcome applicants from underrepresented groups in Australian publishing.
Current employment opportunities are listed below as they arise.
The available positions are:
- Commercial Director
- Head of Operations
- Freelance copyeditor, proofreader and indexer applications
Employment Type: Permanent Full-time
Location: Port Melbourne
Based in Melbourne with offices in London, Hong Kong, New York and Paris, Thames & Hudson is a leading international publisher of illustrated books on art, design, fashion, interiors, gardens and lifestyle.
We are seeking a highly organised Production Assistant with a keen eye for detail, to support the efficient delivery of the Australian list, ensuring it is on time and on budget.
- Provide administrative support to the Publishing Manager, including assistance with international sales, checking and coding invoices, ISBNS and barcode allocation, sending shipping instructions and organising advance copies for sales and marketing.
- Input new title information into industry specific in-house software and manage all updates to our titles, checking against in-house schedules that all information is correct.
- Coordinate meetings run by the Publishing Manager by sending out meeting requests, agendas, and minutes.
- Oversee the proofing process and meticulously check F&Gs against proofs before books go to print.
- Conduct final production checks including covers and imprint pages and assist the Publishing Manager in addressing printer queries.
- Handle the purchase of fonts and keep font library up to date.
- Manage eBook processes and schedules efficiently.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Preferred (but not essential) in-house publishing production experience – ideally with full colour print publications.
- Proficient in Microsoft word and Excel.
- Detail-oriented with a proactive ‘can-do’ approach.
- Interested candidates should submit their CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com by 14 November 2023.
- T&H Australia is committed to diversity and encourages applicants from underrepresented groups in Australian publishing.
- This is a full-time role based in Port Melbourne.
- Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Some benefits working with us:
- Bonus profit share scheme
- Discounts off all THA titles and distributed publisher titles
- THA employee assistance program (EAP) – designed to support employees emotional, mental and general psychological wellbeing.
Freelance copyeditor, proofreader and indexer applications
We are looking to expand our network of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers to work across our list. Familiarity with book editing is ideal, but we would consider any editor with relevant experience.
In particular, we’re looking for:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander editors, especially those with expertise in Indigenous arts and culture
- Children’s book editors specialising in science topics
- Children’s picture book editors (fiction)
- Editors, proofreaders and indexers with expertise in the other subjects we publish
Available work includes:
Copyediting and styling manuscripts in Microsoft Word, with attention to voice, tone, grammar and syntax, factual accuracy and style consistency
Proofreading book pages for spelling, grammar and syntax, style consistency and design errors
Click the Apply Now button below to be added to our freelancer database.