Thames & Hudson Australia is a global publisher of art and culture for the modern reader. We work with the world’s best authors, artists and designers to create the world’s most beautiful books.
We specialise in books on:
- Narrative Non-Fiction
- Children’s Picture Books
Our office and workplace culture is:
- A safe place to learn, grow and thrive
We also offer free on-site parking, industry and skills-based training, optional social activities, generous staff discounts and access to exceptionally beautiful books.
We welcome applicants from underrepresented groups in Australian publishing.
Current employment opportunities are listed below as they arise.
The available positions are:
- Head of Marketing and Publicity
- Freelance copyeditor, proofreader and indexer applications
Head of Marketing and Publicity
REPORTS TO: Commercial Director
JOB STATUS: Full-time
DIRECT REPORTS: 4 (Publicists, Marketing Executive, Graphic Designer)
THAMES & HUDSON:
Thames & Hudson was founded in 1949 by Walter and Eva Neurath. Their passion and mission was to create a ‘museum without walls’ and to make the world of art and the research of top scholars accessible to a large reading public.
Thames & Hudson Australia was established in Melbourne in 1970 and is Australia’s leading distributor of illustrated books produced by a growing number of independent illustrated book publishers from Australia and around the world. These brands include Abrams, TASCHEN, Tate Publishing, Smith Street Publishing, and Magic Cat.
T&H Australia publishes nearly 30 original Australian titles each year in subject areas, including art, the arts, architecture, interiors, design, photography, gardening, food and drink and children’s books.
Thames & Hudson: Inspiring, Innovative, International, Independent, Inclusive
Based in Melbourne and reporting to the Commercial Director, the Head of Marketing & Publicity (HMP) is responsible for managing the marketing and publicity team and, in conjunction with the Commercial Director, devising the marketing and publicity strategy for the business.
The role contributes to company-wide business strategy and forms part of the central management team as the accountable voice of the marketing and publicity department. The HMP collaborates with various internal departments, oversees the marketing and publicity budget, coordinates marcomms campaigns, and manages the corporate digital/social media presence.
- Lead the development and articulation of a three-to-five-year marketing and publicity strategy for 2025 and beyond, demonstrating an understanding of a changing and competitive marcomms and publishing environment.
- Lead the delivery of the department’s strategy through developing and implementing the strategic plan in collaboration with the Commercial Director. Manage the Marketing and Publicity planner.
- Foster, lead and monitor a positive departmental work culture where all team members can contribute meaningfully to strategy and organisational development.
- Support staff to understand, embrace and deliver the company’s vision and objectives, ensuring that each role is aligned with the company’s successful delivery and that the team has a clear and compelling collective direction.
- Oversee the work of the marketing and publicity team to ensure manageable and equitable workloads. This includes allocating title campaigns and other activities to direct reports, communicating critical information on titles and ensuring all campaign promotional touchpoints are evaluated and implemented.
- Guide and lead the team to accomplish marcomms campaigns promptly and effectively.
- Provide regular feedback, undertake performance reviews, support training and development of staff, and undertake recruitment activities when required.
- Manage critical stakeholder management communications for marketing and publicity, both internally and externally. These include the THA Executive Leadership team and Management team, publishers, authors, the UK head office and group companies globally, THA distributed publishers, media and others as required.
- Attend key internal and external meetings to provide advice, insight and opinions on behalf of the Marketing and Publicity team.
- Manage the Marketing and Publicity general budget and the title costing budget, including liaising with the National Sales Manager on the yearly co-op spend.
- Lead and manage partnerships with a focus on building, maintaining and nurturing relationships with retail trade partners, media, brand partners,
- Foster collaboration between cross-functional teams through open and productive working relationships with the rest of the business, notably publishing and sales. Liaise and collaborate with Sale on trade marketing initiatives.
- Attend and contribute to inter-departmental meetings – including Publishing Meetings, Sales & Product Meetings, P&L Meetings, Print Confirm Meetings, Cover Meetings, Management Meetings.
- Understand evaluation and assess performance and outcomes using qualitative and quantitative measures. Continually review internal processes for efficiency and effectiveness.
Marketing and Publicity
- Create and implement seasonal and umbrella campaigns for multiple titles.
- Create and implement key title campaigns for key titles.
- Manage end-to-end campaign details for distributed and THL titles.
- Oversee management of the T&H website, social, and EDM.
- Oversee management of author tours, launches, and events.
- Manage author care concerning marketing and publicity initiatives. Liaise and consult with the Commercial Director and Publishing Director on author care communication and issues as necessary.
- Identify and champion fast-moving titles or titles not performing to expectation – adapt where necessary and devise flexible campaigns.
- Take an agile approach to campaign planning, proactively addressing challenges, identifying solutions, and delivering on budget.
- Review and share post-publication analysis of each measurable campaign for future opportunities.
- Coordinate with other group companies around the world.
- Ensure the marketing and publicity department delivers results in line with the commitments made at the time of title acquisition.
- Reporting and liaison with UK head office as required.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- 6+ years of experience in the book publishing industry and/or hold a relevant tertiary or post-graduate qualification in marketing or PR/Communications
- Excellent communication, organisational and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively liaise with publishing partners, authors, suppliers, vendors, senior management, and staff.
- Proven financial literacy and successful budget management.
- Demonstrated ability to stay organised and manage multiple projects and conflicting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively function as part of senior management, providing advice, recommendations and information.
- Ability to monitor and mentor staff, ensuring accuracy and quality of work.
- An aptitude for managing authors, agents, managers, media, retail partners and other stakeholders while maintaining a focus on business needs.
- Passion for Thames and Hudson’s purpose, books, and visual creativity
- Experience with publishing trade sales marketing.
Other relevant information:
- This position description is indicative of the range of job requirements.
- The job comprises other duties as required.
This is an office-based role at our Headquarters. T&H offers flexible working arrangements, exciting travel opportunities and an open, friendly and dynamic workplace. T&H salaries are competitive with industry standards and all employees are eligible for an annual bonus scheme based on a share of gross profit.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter addressing the requirements mentioned above to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: January 28, 2024, at 12 PM.
T&H Australia is an equal opportunity, non-discriminatory workplace and we welcome applications from people of diverse and minority backgrounds.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will receive a response.
Freelance copyeditor, proofreader and indexer applications
We are looking to expand our network of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers to work across our list. Familiarity with book editing is ideal, but we would consider any editor with relevant experience.
In particular, we’re looking for:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander editors, especially those with expertise in Indigenous arts and culture
- Children’s book editors specialising in science topics
- Children’s picture book editors (fiction)
- Editors, proofreaders and indexers with expertise in the other subjects we publish
Available work includes:
Copyediting and styling manuscripts in Microsoft Word, with attention to voice, tone, grammar and syntax, factual accuracy and style consistency
Proofreading book pages for spelling, grammar and syntax, style consistency and design errors
Click the Apply Now button below to be added to our freelancer database.