Thames & Hudson Australia is an illustrated book publisher based in Melbourne. We specialise in books on art, photography, architecture, design, gardening and health, as well as children’s picture books. We also have a new but fast-growing list of narrative nonfiction titles spanning history, culture, food, science, memoir and more.
Current employment opportunities are listed below as they arise.
Thames & Hudson Australia welcomes applicants from underrepresented groups in Australian publishing.
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Thames & Hudson Australia is looking for an Editor to join its Melbourne office in a full-time role. The Editor will work across a range of full-colour illustrated and narrative non-fiction titles, seeing them through the editorial and production process under the supervision of the Publisher. This role liaises closely with the Publishing Manager and other departments.
- Liaise with commissioning editor, author, and freelance editor and designer from initial briefing through to final files.
- Manage author and editor corrections on pages.
- Take in corrections in InDesign.
- Provide editorial support, including proofreading, fact-checking, permissions, as required.
- Manage preliminary and end matter material including contents pages, image credits, acknowledgments, imprint etc.
- Produce draft cover copy and AIs.
- Contribute to editorial assessments.
- Give general administration assistance within the department.
- Assist with catalogue creation.
- Assist with book fair preparation and trade fair materials.
- Manage files for translation and co-editions.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud, especially InDesign and Acrobat.
- Prior experience copy-editing, proofreading and copy-writing desirable.
- Prior experience with full-colour print publications desirable.
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with authors and designers.
- A good team player who can remain calm and efficient while working across multiple projects.
This is a full-time role based in Port Melbourne. The salary for this position will be paid in line with the Book Industry Award for Editor Level 2, Grade 2 and above, based on the successful applicant’s experience. For more information on the Book Industry Award, please visit https://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000078.
We welcome applicants from underrepresented groups in Australian publishing.
Please send a CV with covering letter to email@example.com by Wednesday 4 August 2021. Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Freelance copyeditor, proofreader and indexer applications
We are looking to expand our network of freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers to work across our list. Familiarity with book editing is ideal, but we would consider any editor with relevant experience.
In particular, we’re looking for:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander editors, especially those with expertise in Indigenous arts and culture
- Children’s book editors specialising in science topics
- Children’s picture book editors (fiction)
- Editors, proofreaders and indexers with expertise in the other subjects we publish
Available work includes:
Copyediting and styling manuscripts in Microsoft Word, with attention to voice, tone, grammar and syntax, factual accuracy and style consistency
Proofreading book pages for spelling, grammar and syntax, style consistency and design errors
Click the Apply Now button below to be added to our freelancer database.