Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Action kicks off with a foreword by an award-winning author and journalist Bonnie Tsui, who offers pointers for creating page-turning prose. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities to explore how both high-stakes and low-key moments can be action-packed.
Among other ideas, you’ll be asked to write an account of:
– a highly competitive game of hopscotch
– an orange being peeled as if it were the last one on earth
– a car ride with an overly confident student driver
– a meal prepared by a cook who is really depressed
– the step-by-step process of opening a long-awaited piece of mail
Perfectly sized to take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute, this book is designed for practicing your creative writing a little bit at a time.