Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Character begins with an essay by author and educator Constance Hale, who offer pointers for observing and capturing human complexity. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities for you to develop your own characters.
Among other ideas, you’ll be asked to create:
– a sketch of a famous person you admire ?
– a portrait of someone based on the items on his desk ?
– a positive take on someone you loathe ?
– a description of your mother’s emotions as they are expressed by her eyes
– a scene involving a group of people, focusing exclusively on how they use their hands ?
Perfectly sized to take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute, this book is designed for practicing your creative writing a little bit at a time.