Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Dialogue begins a foreword by author and educator Shanthi Sekaran, who offers pointers for creating believable speech in your fiction. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to write, providing opportunities to explore how dialogue can bring your characters and plotlines to life.
Among other ideas, you’ll be asked to write speech for:
– a pent-up confession of love?
– a family’s reaction when dinner is ruined?
– a job interview in which the interviewee has all the power?
– a first date that is going well (and then not so well)?
– a toast at dinner party, honoring someone who has wronged you?
Perfectly sized to take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute, this book is designed for practicing your creative writing a little bit at a time.